Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday’s Fave Five # 4

FFF fall flowers

I’ve had a wonderful week and because it’s Friday, it time to share. Thanks Susanne for hosting Fave Five.

1. Paruski urok (I’ve written this phonetically!) – and it means Russian classes.  After 4 classes I like it.  I’ve learnt the alphabet(it’s still confusing but I’m getting there). I’ve learnt many words that I’m able to put them into sentences.  Now when I get around town I’m able to decipher the shop signs etc and it’s much easier. I have to say this though, I’m motivated to learn the language and I think that helps a lot.

IMG_0011IMG_0010

2.  Photography.  I have joined a group of people who are interested in photography.  I enjoyed our first photo/class together.  Not so much the location, but it’s exciting to be with people who are interested in the same thing.

3. Coffee morning.  We had a newcomers coffee morning this week.  It was good to put names to faces together.  Because I have kids I tend to hang around more with the other parents who also have kids in school. So it was nice to meet some empty nesters and get their perspective of life here in Atyrau.  Oh and I also came away with a disc of recipes as a welcome gift.  It’s great because the recipes are geared to what we are able to find in the supermarkets here.

4. Pretty Roses.  they always make me happy when I see them outside my house.

IMG_0049IMG_0002

5. Independence Day.  My home country celebrated our independence today.  Actually the celebration will be all weekend.  I got a facebook message from my sister, that my brother was part of a group that built a lakatoi (double hulled canoe).  The canoe will sail from one island to the main one tomorrow,  re-enacting the arrival of the boats that set sail and traded with the other sea cities. When I get such messages from home I get homesick and wish I were there.  below is an old picture I found on google. 

6a00d83454f2ec69e200e55389d4d58833-320wi

Happy Independence Papua New Guinea!

So what were your favorite’s for the week?  Join us and share.

Happy Weekend.

5 comments:

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

So neat that you're learning the language! What a neat tradition in Papua New Guinea.

Love the roses. Sounds like a great week to me!

Susan@FruitfulWords said...

So nice to have the coffee morning in order to meet others and to get to know them better. It is special that you don't just stick with those in your comfort zone - like other parents who also have kids in school. How nice that someone gave you recipes that use local produce. I look forward to you sharing them with us.

I also look forward to seeing more of your photos. Roses make me happy too so thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Way to go on picking up the language quickly! I can't imagine doing that! I'm sure it makes things much easier!

Graveyards are neat places to take photos - and you got some good ones!

I'm not sure why you are in Central Asia, but it sounds like there are others in your situation. It is nice that you have a gathering to support one another.

Karyn...I'm having trouble commenting through my google account

Susanne said...

The roses are lovely and you did a great job photographing them. Red is very hard to get right. Your photography group sounds like fun.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with the language.

Hazel said...

Distinctly red gorgeous roses! I agree that motivation is a major key in learning a new language. I've been in Thailand for quite awhile, but never learned to speak Thai well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...